Sunday, November 4, 2007

Now in Barcelona...

I did actually make it to the Temple of Poseidon in Greece. I missed a bus due to the quality directions given by the bus people - "over behind the trees" isn't really great when there are around 300 trees around in every direction. I caught the one an hour later, where I sat for 2 hours hoping that the bus driver wasn't new to this job, because he was coming precariously close to the edge of the road, which was a sheer cliff to the ocean. The temple itself was beautiful (photos to follow), and I had a Greek salad for lunch overlooking the ocean before heading back.

Yesterday I got up really early to ensure that I definitely wouldn't miss my flight to Barcelona - I did not want to be stuck in Greece. Two flights and some duty free chocolate later, I was in Barcelona, attempting to push my way through some serious pedestrian traffic with a full pack on my back. I couldn't believe how many people there were on the main street - it was like Show Holiday at the Ekka, but it went on and on... totally crazy. After knocking on the wrong door for 10 minutes (the "hostel" sign had a yellow arrow painted on it on a white background - practically invisible), I finally found my hostel, and dumped my pack, which apparently now weighs 15kg - it weighed 8kg when I left Stockholm.

Barcelona is a pretty cool city - looks like a good place to go clothes shopping. It's great jeans and t-shirt weather and the people seem really friendly. I wandered around the main tourists street, where every second shop is full of souvenirs - weird looking iguanas in mosaic (I am sure I will figure out what this means soon - probably something to do with Gaudi?), the usual "Good girls to go heaven, bad girls go to Barcelona" shirts, postcards and thousands of Barca FC shirts. It was still packed on the main street at 8pm and I was exhausted and not willing to change to Spanish timetable (midnight dinner, no way), so I gave up and had KFC. I am a reluctant mayonaise convert - it tastes so good on chips! (Damn crazy Dutch people.)

This morning I woke up at 10:45am - 11 hours sleep, I must have been tired. I found a leaflet for city tours on a Segway, which looked awesome... but costs €70, so I'll have to give it a miss :( Someday I will get to ride a Segway.

It's now 1:30pm and I don't really feel like doing anything. I should go for a walk and visit La Sagrada Familla I suppose, so I can at least say Í've done something today apart from laundry. I need to plan where I'm going next and reserve train seats too I guess.

3 comments:

Boon said...

Yes, the mosaic lizard is a Gaudi thing, if you go to Parc Gruell you'll see the real one. Las Ramblas is crazy, full of people all day long. I found the best clothes shopping was on the side streets east of Las Ramblas tho.

Boon said...

Oh, I had KFC in Barcelona too - what did you think? The chicken was actually much less oily than here

Vicki and Stephen said...

The KFC was pretty good, yeah :P But the chips were fries, not KFC chips.

I am going to Parc Guell today to see the lizard!