Saturday, November 10, 2007

Last day in Madrid...

Today is my last day in Madrid (and of the trip). I'd heard around the hostel that it was a public holiday today, but didn't really think about it... public holidays are when you get a day off work to go shopping, right? When I wandered out of the hostel at 11:30am, I discovered my error - everything was closed, and I mean everything except a couple of souvenir stores, McDonalds and Starbucks. At around 12, a huge parade started, with lots of priests and people in what I'm guessing are traditional costumes. It was very strange.

I'm hoping there will be more things open this afternoon. Yesterday I visited El Retiro, the local park. When I think "park", I think green grass and trees, but apparently Europe in general doesn't agree with me - their parks have mostly been dirt roads with small grassy areas fenced off. Go figure. The park was pretty cool though, and I saw a statue of the devil, who didn't look very happy. Poor guy.

Tomorrow it's off to the airport for my flights. I'm very excited :) Today I will need to pick up a couple of books for the flight, as I've run out... apart from that, very little to do except mope about all of the awesome clothes here that I can't afford to bring back to Australia due to weight restrictions. Oh, and I need to buy Starbucks entire stock of stroopwaffles too. Hopefully they will make it through quarantine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too many clothes huh? He he, nice work! I just posted mine back to myself - much cheaper than airline excess baggage!
Sounds like you've had a really good time, still mega jealous...
Daniel

Unknown said...

Have a safe trip home V and see you soon. Take good care. Mum and Co x

Anonymous said...

I got your postcard today with the cool mosaic things and giant lizard. Thanks : ) Cheered up my day. Have fun and safe trip. Love Nat xox