Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Barcelona is a cool city...

Yesterday I visited the Sagrada Famillia, which was strange but cool... one side looks like a bunch of melted candles, and the other side looks cool and cube-y. There's even a bassoon-playing angel. The inside was cool too, despite the construction zone... and there were some really cool models of how Gaudi architect-ed (is there a proper word for this?) another building using string to create an inverted building. I found it interesting that he used plaster models rather than diagrams, to help him visualise better... kinda like using paper and programmatic prototypes rather than wireframes? :P

Today I went to Parc Guell and saw the not-as-giant-as-previously-advertised lizardy iguana thingy, which is apparently actually a dragon. The whole place was a bit random, although I did like the mosaics everywhere :)

I have been trying to practice my Spanish, but when I say something in Spanish to someone, they reply in English. I'll continue to delude myself into thinking that they're just trying to be nice and speak to me in my language, rather than my pronunciation and command of the language being completely laughable :P

Tomorrow I leave for Madrid, the last stop on my tour. I am booked into a hostel that was supposedly "designed by an experienced backpacker as her ideal hostel". I would now consider myself an experienced backpacker, so my quick list of things the hostel should include would be: comfortable beds, reading lights, in-room lockers for packs, hooks or rails for hanging towels or coats, a powerpoint for each bed, a large common area with room for eating as well as chatting, a decent kitchen with multiple sinks and a full complement of cutlery, crockery and cooking implements, laundry facilities, internet facilities, beer on tap, 24 hour hostel access without having to press a buzzer or hand a key in, a nearby train/metro and supermarket. And not full of 18 year old like-totally girls. Not that I'm picky :P

Right now, there are a bunch of very loud and very tonedeaf Scottish football supporters in the pub under this internet cafe who have been singing for the last half hour about Glasgow... so I'm leaving for somewhere a little quieter.

3 comments:

Boon said...

You can take the girl out of her usability job, but you can't take the usability job out of the girl, it seems :P

Anonymous said...

LOL - well Boon said it all.
Hope the hostel meets expectatios. Hmmmm I wont hold my breath!

Unknown said...

*Looks for a pin to pop the bubble with*